Friday, January 2, 2015

My Top 5 Action Films of 2014

5. Fury
I was pleasantly surprised with Fury. There wasn't much in terms of story, but the performances more or less made the film for me. Nobody was going for likability. In fact most of the characters are despicable, at least at first. The action was intense and real. The tank battles were some of the best things I've seen this year in film. Overall, Fury is an exciting film that thrills but still manages to just be a run of the mill war film.               MY SCORE: 7.5/10


4. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
I'll be blunt in saying I wasn't a huge fan of the first Captain America film. In fact I think it might be one of my least favorite marvel films. So going into Cap 2 I was very skeptical in whether I was going to like it or not. This film really took me by surprise. It was a refreshing super hero film that included some great spy like espionage bits. It wasn't the predictable bore that the first movie was. This time around Chris Evans gets a chance to breath as the character and can stand on his own as the captain. Scarlet Johannson and Samuel L Jackson are both great in it as well. I loved this chapter in the captain america story. I am definitely excited for the third movie.                                                                               MY SCORE: 8.5/10


3. X-Men: Days of Future Past
I was almost completely done with the X-men franchise. I really liked the first two movies very much. I even liked that prequel First Class, but there was too much BS with the other x-men films. Days of Future Past has without a doubt regained my attention in the franchise. This film has everything you want in an X-men movie. The time travel elements were cool and added some depth to the story. The entire star studded cast give memorable performances as the popular mutants and there younger selves. Overall X-men: Days of Future Past had me entertained from start to finish. Oh, and I think that Quicksilver scene was easily one of the best things I've seen this year.                                                                                                                 MY SCORE: 9.0/10

2. Guardians of the Galaxy
What is there to say that hasn't been said a million times of the huge mega Marvel hit. Guardians has such an incredible blend of Sci Fi swagger and blockbuster eye candy. This movie was certainly like crack to me when I first saw it. I couldn't get enough of it. The characters, the special effects, and the soundtrack were all out of this world great. Chris Pratt is most certainly a household name now because of this film. He should be too. Overall, Guardians of the Galaxy was all I could have hoped for and much more. I had big stupid smile on my face the entire film.
                                                                                                                             MY SCORE: 9.5/10

1. The Raid 2
In terms of action nothing even comes close to The Raid 2. I couldn't stop thinking about this movie for a long time. Easily some of the best fight choreography I have ever seen in an action film. The action was filmed incredibly well too. No shaky camera, no frantic editing. The shots just let the action breath. The action mixes well with the godfather like story. I can't recommend this movie enough if you like action in any way. It is a foreign movie, but most of the film is balls to the walls action anyway so it didn't distract me at all. I loved The Raid 2 and it easily wins my number 1 spot as my favorite action film of 2014
                                                                                                                              MY SCORE: 9.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment