Saturday, December 27, 2014

My Top 5 Most Disappointing Films of 2014

5. Snowpiercer
To me this film felt lacking in substance. None of the characters really stood out. The concept was really interesting and fun to watch, but I couldn't help but think of the massive plot holes, boring characters, and lackluster presentation at times. I am very surprised to see it on many Top 10 lists, as I haven't really been on the fence about a movie this commercially liked in a very long time.
MY SCORE: 6.0/10



4. Dumb and Dumber To
I really wanted to love this movie. I can't stress enough how many times I have watched and enjoyed the original Dumb and Dumber. It will always be a film that can put a smile on my face. Needless to say that I wasn't counting on the sequel to top the original. I didn't hate the movie, in fact I laughed out loud a few times in it. It just wasn't enough to keep me entertained throughout. Dumb and Dumber To was just a film that felt like it came out 20 years to late.
MY SCORE: 5.5/10


3. The Rover
The Rover was a film that I anticipated being one of my favorites of the year. Everything pointed to it being a great film. Crazy Guy Pierce. Check. Beautiful cinematography. Check. Post apocalyptic tale. Check. Style wasn't the problem. Unfortunately I felt that the film lacked in substance and failed to resonate with me in any way. This makes the list because I thought David Michod's last film Animal Kingdom was fantastic. I was ultimately bored with The Rover.
MY SCORE: 6.0/10

2. Godzilla
Godzilla was hit or miss with people. Some praising its restraint in showing the big beast, and others calling it unbearable to watch because of the human characters. I can relate to both sides, but I was really disappointed in everything besides the actual Godzilla bits in the movie. The human elements really took me out of it, and a certain key character being killed off almost comically too soon. I hoped for more of a payoff in the end, but I have faith in the sequel.
MY SCORE: 7.0/10


1. The Amazing Spider-Man 2
I was hoping that this was the Spider-man movie that brings me back. Not only did it fail to do that, it pushed me even further away from ever liking this franchise again. I really disliked this film in almost every way. The weirdly comical (Batman & Robin like) villains were eye rolling bad. The Amazing Spider-man 2 suffers from the same issue that plagued the 3rd Raimi film. There was too much going on, and not enough to care about.
MY SCORE: 5.0/10

No comments:

Post a Comment